Learning and Teaching During COVID-19

Contact My SSW Intranet Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Can I enter the MSW program without completing a bachelor's degree?

    Yes. Each year up to ten students can be admitted through our Non-Baccalaureate Admissions status. The goal of this provision is to provide an opportunity for individuals with extensive, successful experience in social work to obtain the MSW degree without first obtaining a bachelor's degree.

  2. Can I have a job while I am at school full time?

    Most students work part time (10-20 hours per week) when enrolled in the full-time program. Many students apply for and receive work-study funds.

  3. Can I have a minor?

    Students may complete a minor in a Practice Method but not in a Practice Area. Students have the option of selecting a Minor Practice Method in any one of the three Practice Methods in which they do not concentrate. Minor method requirements include two advanced method courses and 171 hours of advanced field work related to the minor method. Selecting a minor may limit field placement options and also limits elective course options.

  4. Can I take the bus? What bus routes are available?

    The Ann Arbor Transit Authority operates many bus routes within the city as well as between Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. These buses are free for students to use with a valid ID. For more information on bus routes, you can visit the AATA website or by phone at 734-973-6500. U of M also has a bus line, and more info can be found on U-M's Parking and Transportation Services website.

  5. Can I transfer in credits to the online program from another MSW program?

    No, transfer students cannot enroll in the online program but students may be able to transfer up to 30 credits into our On-Campus MSW Program.

  6. Can I use GI bill benefits toward the program?

    Past Sexual Health Certificate Program participants have not been able to apply GI bill benefits toward the program because the program has not been considered eligible for these benefits. 

  7. Can I visit the School before I apply?

    Yes, we encourage prospective students to visit the School of Social Work. Prospective students are invited to attend one of our Prospective Student Group Sessions, which are held once or twice per month from September through April. The School can also arrange an  Press enter to read full text...

  8. Can I work while I am on F-1 or J-1 status?

    F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while attending classes and full time during official university holidays and in between enrolled terms. J-1 students must complete the On-Campus Employment Authorization form to obtain Press enter to read full text...

Contact Us Press escape to close