In response to an NSF and NIH request that undergraduate, graduate, doctoral students, and postdoctoral fellows who are engaged in NSF and NIH-funded research complete face-to-face training with faculty on the Responsible Conduct and Research Scholarship (RCRS), SW800 has been modified to include the required instruction.
The RCRS portion of SW800 will focus on core topics such as:
- Appropriate citation of sources and avoiding plagiarism
- Authorship and publication practices and responsibilities
- Acquisition, management, ownership and sharing of data
- Research misconduct, including data fabrication and falsification
- Personal, professional and financial conflicts of interest and commitment
- Supervisory and mentoring relationships and responsibilities
- Protection of human research subjects
Satisfactory completion of the RCRS component of SW800 will provide certification for 4 years.
PEERRS certification is encouraged.
After the official third week count of each term (Fall, Winter & Spring/Summer) Research Administration Services will:
- Identify and communicate with new staff/students who are required to attend the RCRS portion of SW800.
- Identify and communicate with individuals whose certification is scheduled to expire to attend the RCRS portion of SW800.
- Reserve appropriate space for the RCRS portion of SW800 to accommodate the number of required attendees
- Send certificates of completion to attendees
- Maintain a database of individuals who require certification, their completion records and certification expiration dates