Learning and Teaching During COVID-19

Contact My SSW Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

International Student FAQ

This page includes frequently asked questions specifically for international students at the U-M School of Social Work. For more general questions, please refer to the FAQ page at the International Center.

If you have other questions, please feel free to email ssw.oga@umich.edu.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. As an international student, can I apply for financial aid?

    International students are eligible for merit-based financial aid from the U-M School of Social Work and special programs, but are not eligible for need-based financial aid (U.S. federal or state aid). Please see International Student Financial Aid for more information. Contact the Office of Student Services with any questions.

  2. Can I work while I am on F-1 or J-1 status?

    F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while attending classes and full time during official university holidays and in between enrolled terms. J-1 students must complete the On-Campus Employment Authorization form to obtain Press enter to read full text...

  3. What if I encounter a closed class during registration?

    Students who wish to try to gain entry to a closed course, a course with departmental consent, or some other restriction that may prevent enrollment need to submit a Course Enrollment Petition.

  4. What is CPT and why CPT?

    CPT is Curricular Practical Training. All MSW students with F-1 status must have required CPT authorization prior to starting field. Because field placements are required for MSW students, the CPT process for MSW students is different from the non-required CPT Press enter to read full text...

Contact Us Press escape to close