Contact My SSW Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

International Student FAQ

This page includes frequently asked questions specifically for international students at the U-M School of Social Work. For more general questions, please refer to the FAQ page at the International Center.

If you have other questions, please feel free to email

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Can I apply for financial aid?

    International students are not eligible for US federal or state financial aid, but are eligible for other financial aid and scholarships. Please see MSW Program Grants and Scholarships for more information. If you have more questions, you can schedule an appointment with Office of Student ...

  2. Can I work?

    F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to work up to 20 hours with on-campus employment, including at the School of Social Work, during the semester and full-time during school vacations. However, international students are not eligible for work-study employments.

    Note that the primary purpose of F-1 ...

  3. What do I do if I don’t get into the class that I want to?

    You can fill out a Course Enrollment Petition with your rationales of taking the class. The Registrar's Office will review your petition and notify you their decision through an email.

  4. What is CPT and why CPT?

    The Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment for F-1 visa students, which is considered an integral part of the curriculum. All field placements at U-M School of Social Work are CPT employment for international students. Therefore, prior to starting to intern at field placements, ...

Contact Us Press escape to close