Contact My SSW Intranet

Main menu

Joint PhD Program FAQ

Prospective Students

  1. Can you provide tips for the Joint PhD Program application process?

    The purpose of this document is to provide the applicant to the University of Michigan’s Joint PhD Program in Social Work and Social Science tips for writing a strong application. This document also provides some insight into the priorities of the program: a Press enter to read full text...

  2. Do I need my official transcripts? Can I send my official transcripts later?

    Unofficial transcripts from degree granting institutions only are necessary for submitting an application. Official transcripts will be required once an offer of admission is made. Admission will be contingent upon receipt of of official transcripts. Failure to submit could result in revocation of admission offer.

  3. Do I need to apply separately to the discipline in which I am interested as well as to the Joint PhD Program?

    No. You only need to go through the application process for admission to the Joint PhD Program. If you are accepted into the Joint Program, you are also accepted into the discipline you selected.

  4. Do you offer a part-time or an online PhD?

    No. You must be registered as a full-time student studying on campus to receive our funding package. Students are expected to devote full time to their studies and are supported financially to enable them to do that.

  5. How are faculty selected to work with you?

    Admitted students are assigned an advisor in SW and also in their Social Science. Faculty match is determined based on availability as well as the student preference. Faculty research interests by discipline are listed here:

  6. I am an international student. Am I eligible for Joint PhD Program funding?

    Yes, you are eligible for the funding package described here. You are not eligible for certain fellowships and scholarships offered at the University of Michigan, or for training grants supported by the federal government.

  7. May I apply to the Joint PhD Program as a transfer student?

    The Joint PhD program does not accept transfer students or credits to the program unless a student comes directly from one of the five departments aligned with the Social Work and Social Science PhD. Students wishing to join the Joint PhD program from one of the five social sciences must go through the application process just as any other student applying to the program.

  8. May I apply to the Joint PhD Program in Social Work and Social Science without having an MSW degree?

    Yes. If you are accepted into the Joint PhD Program, you will earn your MSW degree in the process of completing your PhD.

Contact Us Press escape to close