The University of Michigan School of Social Work is excited to offer both an Online MSW Program and an On Campus MSW Program. Applicants that meet the admissions and program criteria are welcome to apply to either or both programs.
Note: U-M CASC Minor, U-M Sociology & SW and UM-Dearborn Human Services & SW students submitting a fall 2024 MSW application during their junior year for fall 2025 consideration must apply by February 1.
Applicants are required to review the School of Social Work website and Instructions for MSW Application before completing the MSW application. The application form provides information upon which decisions for admission are based and it is imperative to give complete and accurate data. The School reserves the right to withdraw an application and/or revoke an offer of admission if full and accurate information is not provided to the School in a timely manner.
We utilize a modified rolling admissions process and encourage applicants to submit the application and all supporting documents at the earliest date possible.
Applicants should consider the following tips when applying to the School of Social Work:
- Apply as early as possible.
- Review the application instructions to ensure the submission of a complete and accurate application.
- Consider joining or viewing a Prospective Student Information Session.
- Review the Criteria for Admission prior to submitting the application.
- Provide an academic recommendation if possible.
- Provide a professional recommendation if possible (e.g., from someone who managed a setting or supervised the applicant in a human service-related paid, volunteer, internship, or research services environment).
- Address all three topics in your Supplementary Statement.
- Thoroughly proofread your Supplementary Statement.
- Follow the Résumé Guide when creating your resume.
- Submit the financial aid application for the School of Social Work with the application for admission. (This will not impact the admissions decision, but is required for SSW merit- or need-based financial aid consideration.)
- Complete and submit the FAFSA at the earliest date possible.
- If interested, submit a special program application. (This will not impact the MSW admissions decision.)
- Call (734) 936-0961 or email the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management with any questions.
The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Equity, Civil Rights and Title IX Office (ECRT), 2072 Administrative Services Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1432, 734-763-0235, TTY 734-647-1388, firstname.lastname@example.org. For other University of Michigan information, call 734-764-1817.