Contact My SSW Intranet

Main menu

Services for Students with Disabilities

The University of Michigan complies with federal and state laws which affect qualified persons with disabilities. It is the policy and practice of the School of Social Work to provide equitable educational opportunities for students with documented disabilities in all programs and activities, including internships or field placements. Students with disabilities who require academic adjustments are encouraged to contact their instructors at the beginning of the semester to discuss their specific needs.

The University's Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides assistance regarding academic, economic, social, and recreational activities to students who have documented disabilities. Specific services available through SSD include counseling, assistance with classroom accommodations, volunteer readers and note takers, sign language and oral interpreters, peer tutors, accessible transportation, orientation and registration assistance, special scholarships, tape recorders and talking calculators, aids for reading and studying, such as braille and large print materials, adaptive computer technology, and telecommunication devices for the deaf. Staff in SSD also serve as intermediaries and advocates for students with disabilities.

The following are some details about the SSD:

  • Offers selected student services which are not provided by other University offices or outside organizations. Our services are free of charge.
  • Assists students in negotiating disability-related barriers to the pursuit of their education.
  • Strives to improve access to University programs, activities, and facilities for students with disabilities.
  • Promotes increased awareness of disability issues on campus.

To register for services, or to volunteer as a reader, note taker, or tutor, contact:

Services for Students with Disabilities
G-664 Haven Hall
505 South State St.
Phone: (734) 763-3000
Email: [email protected]

Students with disabilities may also contact the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management at the School of Social Work, [email protected] and/or (734) 936-0961 for assistance with registering for accommodations or Amy Burandt ([email protected]) for field placement related accommodations.

Contact Us Press escape to close