Reentry and COVID-19 Information

Contact My SSW Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

Student Employment

Temporary Employment and College Work-Study

Work-study employment is a financial aid program that is awarded to students who have financial need.

The work-study program is designed to assist MSW students by allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses through employment that is subsidized. Under the work-study program, a percentage of a student's earnings is paid through federal or state funds, and the remainder is paid by the student's employer (therefore many qualified employers are eager to hire work-study students).

Students who wish to be considered for the work-study program must apply for financial aid through the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid by completing and submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Students awarded work-study may apply for work-study jobs as listed on the Student Employment Office job posting site. (These jobs are not available to students without work-study.) Students may also post their information and a resume on the SSW temporary employment website. This information is available to SSW faculty and staff who hire work-study employees.

A student may earn wages up to the amount listed on his/her financial aid award notice. In 2018-19 eligible MSW students received up to $1,500 of eligibility per semester for work-study earnings. The Office of Financial Aid and the Student Employment Office administer the federal work-study program and the Michigan work-study program (funded through federal and state resources, respectively). Students may choose to utilize their work-study awards with community service agencies. See the Student Employment Office website for details.

Eligibility for Work-Study

To be eligible to apply for a work-study position, a student must receive a work-study award as part of his or her financial aid package, and the student must be enrolled in at least four credit hours of coursework in a given semester.

Advanced standing and 16-month students should note that work-study may not be available for spring/summer semester.

Note: Students cannot be paid work-study funds for field placement credit.

Contact Us Press escape to close