Main menu

Financial Aid FAQ

  1. Are F-1 or J-1 students eligible to work while enrolled in the MSW Program?

    Yes, F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week on-campus while enrolled at the School. Visit the UM International Center webpage for detailed information.

  2. Are International students eligible to apply for financial aid?

    International MSW applicants may apply for scholarship (merit) aid from the School of Social Work. International students also may be interested in applying to a special program (Child Welfare Scholarship Program, Community-Based Initiative in Detroit, Geriatric Scholarship Program, Global Activities Scholars Program, Integrated Health Scholarship Program, Jewish Communal Leadership Program, National Community Scholars Program, or New Leaders in African-Centered Social Work. All require separate application and have specific deadlines. Please see the SSW Financial Aid Information webpage for specifics.

  3. Are jobs available on the college campus?

    Yes, positions are listed at the U-M Student Employment Office website. You should also fill out the SSW Student Employment Application Form to be placed in a candidate pool for employment in the School of Social Work at.

  4. Can I have a job while I am at school full time?

    Most students work part time (10-20 hours per week) when enrolled in the full-time program. Many students apply for and receive work-study funds.

  5. How do I apply for financial aid?

    You must do the following:

    1. Submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and include the U-M Code (002325). The FAFSA can be submitted online at:
    2. Submit the School of Social Work Financial Aid Form with the online application or mail to:

      The University of Michigan
      School of Social Work
      Office of Student Services
      1080 South University Avenue, Room 1748
      Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1106
  6. How do I apply for work-study?

    To apply for a work-study award, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The University Office of Financial Aid will provide you a work-study award if you meet the eligibility requirements and if funds are available at the time that you apply. Students awarded work-study may apply for work-study jobs as listed on the Student Employment Office job posting site. (These jobs are not available to students without work-study.) Students may also post their information and a resume on the SSW temporary employment website. This information is available to SSW faculty and staff who hire work-study employees.

  7. How do I apply to a special program?

    If you would like to apply to a special program, then please answer "yes" to the question, "Do you plan to apply to an SSW Special Program?" found on the Financial Assistance page of the MSW online application and then check the special program checkbox of the program to which you wish to apply. The special program application pages will be added to the end of your online MSW application. Call 734-936-0961 if you are unable to submit the application via the online MSW application system.

    Application deadlines are December 1 (early application), February 1 (priority), and March 1. Selection of applicants will be made from all dates with priority given to those applicants that meet the December and February deadlines. Your MSW application must be complete by the scholarship application deadline.

  8. How is financial aid awarded to MSW students?

    The School of Social Work Office of Student Services provides grant and scholarship assistance. The University Office of Financial Aid provides loans and work study awards. Many scholarships and grants are awarded at the time of admission. To view the full range of financial aid opportunities, visit our MSW Financial Aid webpage.

Contact Us Press escape to close