Contact My SSW

Main menu

Student Services FAQ

  1. Are career services available to students and alumni of the School of Social Work?

    Yes. The School of Social Work offers career services to both current students and alumni of the MSW program. The Director of Career Services, Michelle Woods offers workshops on job searching, resume writing, interviewing, and licensure preparation each semester. The School also holds alumni networking luncheons to put students in touch with alumni who are working in particular areas of the field. A job bulletin is also emailed to students every two week. Contact Career Services (734-763-6259) for more information.

  2. Are F-1 or J-1 students eligible to work while enrolled in the MSW Program?

    Yes, F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week on-campus while enrolled at the School. Visit the UM International Center webpage for detailed information.

  3. Are international or out-of-state field placements possible?

    Yes, international or out-of-state field placements are possible, but require some extra planning. The School offers special programs such as the Global Activities Scholars Program, Jewish Communal Leadership Program, National Community Scholars Program, and Masters International Volunteer Program which all include field placement experience outside of Michigan. If you are interested in such placements you should apply to these programs early and contact the Office of Global Activities: (734) 936-1964 or

  4. Are International students eligible to apply for financial aid?

    International MSW applicants may apply for scholarship (merit) aid from the School of Social Work. International students also may be interested in applying to a special program (Child Welfare Scholarship Program, Community-Based Initiative in Detroit, Geriatric Scholarship Program, Global Activities Scholars Program, Integrated Health Scholarship Program, Jewish Communal Leadership Program, National Community Scholars Program, or New Leaders in African-Centered Social Work. All require separate application and have specific deadlines. Please see the SSW Financial Aid Information webpage for specifics.

  5. Are jobs available on the college campus?

    Yes, positions are listed at the U-M Student Employment Office website. You should also fill out the SSW Student Employment Application Form to be placed in a candidate pool for employment in the School of Social Work at.

  6. Can I change a recommender if I have already submitted my application?

    To change an online recommender, go to the Online Application Menu, Manage Your Account – Review Your Activity. You will see a University of Michigan School of Social Work link; when you click on it, you should be able to see each of the recommenders in which you indicated "Yes" to "Use Online Recommendation System." From here, you can “take action” and if the recommender has not yet started their recommendation, you can update/change a recommender. If you have submitted a paper application, then a paper copy of the recommendation form and instructions can be found on our website. Please notify the Office of Student Services via email at that you intend to change a recommender.

  7. Can I enter the MSW program without completing a bachelor's degree?

    Yes. Each year up to ten students can be admitted through our Non-Baccalaureate Admissions status. The goal of this provision is to provide an opportunity for individuals with extensive, successful experience in social work to obtain the MSW degree without first obtaining a bachelor's degree.

  8. Can I have a job while I am at school full time?

    Most students work part time (10-20 hours per week) when enrolled in the full-time program. Many students apply for and receive work-study funds.

Contact Us Press escape to close