Learning and Teaching During COVID-19

Contact My SSW Intranet Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Can undocumented or DACAmented students qualify for in-state tuition at the University of Michigan?

    Yes. Undocumented or DACAmented students may qualify for in-state tuition rates if you can demonstrate that you attended an accredited Michigan high school and accredited Michigan middle or junior high school within 28 months of enrolling at U-M. In state residency is determined by the Registrar's Office. Please see the University of Michigan Guidelines for Qualifying for In-State Tuition for details.

  2. Can you provide tips for the application process?

    The purpose of this document is to provide the applicant to the University of Michigan’s Joint PhD Program in Social Work and Social Science tips for writing a strong application. This document also provides some insight into the priorities of the program: a Press enter to read full text...

  3. Do any of the MasterTrack courses include mathematics or statistics-centered content?

    Our Research Methods course is the only course that would include some statistical content. Once you are in the MSW program, depending upon your chosen pathway within the residential program, there could be additional statistics courses required.

  4. Do I come to campus for all Sexual Health Certificate Program courses?

    No. The program is blended, and includes on-campus, in-person courses, live interactive online courses, and portions of courses that include self-directed online learning.

  5. Do I have to apply online to the Sexual Health Certificate Program?

    Yes, we only accept applications online.

  6. Do I have to submit a transcript from a school I attended in the past if the classes are listed on my current school transcript?

    Yes, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted.

  7. Do I have to write a thesis to graduate from the MSW program?

    No, a thesis is not required in the MSW program. There are two research/evaluation courses required (522 & 683) that prepare students to design and implement research projects, and most assignments for these courses will be research papers, but a formal thesis is not required. Students may set up an independent study course to receive credit for completing an optional formal thesis.

  8. Do I need a BSW before I can be admitted to the MSW program?

    No, a BSW is not required for admission to the MSW program. Our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds. The majority of our students hold a bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts discipline (psychology, sociology, etc.), but we also have students with backgrounds in business, engineering, law, etc.

Contact Us Press escape to close