Geriatric social work is one of the fastest growing career fields. The number of older persons in the United States will more than double between the years 2000-2030. As the population ages, employment opportunities in gerontological social work are expanding greatly. Geriatric social work offers extensive possibilities to make a difference in older people's lives and enjoy limitless opportunities for career advancement. Geriatric social workers are particularly needed in marginalized communities and with vulnerable populations.
Geriatric Scholarship Program Funding
- Nonresident Award: $10,000/semester ($40,000 total for four terms or $30,000 total for three terms)
- Resident Award: $5,000/semester ($20,000 total for four terms or $15,000 total for three terms)
Specialized Geriatric Courses
- A one-term integrative, multidisciplinary seminar (Geriatric Integrative Seminar) (SW 693)
- Policies and Services for Older Adults (SW 644)
- Adulthood and Aging (SW 616)
- Social Work with Older Adults (SW 694)
- Mental Health and Mental Disorders in Adulthood (SW 606)
- Death, Loss & Grief (SW 617)
Fieldwork is designed to expose students to a range of practice interventions on behalf of older adults in rural and urban settings and in direct service, policy, and management environments.
To obtain the Geriatric Scholarship, all students must take the Geriatric Capstone course, be enrolled in the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway, and complete a field placement designed to expose students to a range of practice interventions on behalf of older adults in rural and urban settings and in direct service, policy, and management environments.
- All MSW applicants interested in geriatric social work are invited to apply.
- Geriatric Scholars must be enrolled full-time in the 16-month, 12-month (Advanced Standing or UM Sociology & SW), or MicroMasters MSW and select the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway.
- Application deadlines: December 1, 2019 (early application), February 1, 2020 (priority), March 1, 2020. Selection of applicants will be made from all dates with priority given to those applicants that meet the December and February deadlines.
- Deferred admits planning to enroll in fall 2020 must submit their special program application by November 2, 2019.
- Financial need will be considered in the review of special program applications.
- Your MSW application must be complete by the scholarship deadline.
- If you would like to apply to the Geriatric Scholarship Program, please answer "yes" to the question, "Do you plan to apply to an SSW Special Program?" found on the Financial Assistance page of the MSW online application and then select the Geriatric Scholarship Program checkbox. The Geriatric Scholarship Program application pages will be added to the end of your online MSW application.
- Note that it will be more likely to be accepted into the Geriatric Scholarship Program if you select the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway on your MSW application.
For more information about the Geriatric Scholarship Program, contact the Office of Student Services at (734) 936-0961 or firstname.lastname@example.org.