Contact My SSW Intranet Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

Student Services FAQ

  1. Do I need a BSW before I can be admitted to the MSW program?

    No, a BSW is not required for admission to the MSW program. Our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds. The majority of our students hold a bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts discipline (psychology, sociology, etc.), but we also have students with backgrounds in business, engineering, law, etc.

  2. Do I need a car?

    Bringing a car with you is not required, but is strongly encouraged. Having a car significantly enhances your field internship opportunities.

  3. Do I need to purchase a computer for the MSW program?

    Yes, all Master of Social Work (MSW) students must obtain a personal laptop computer. Laptops are used in some classes, in group projects outside of class, and can serve your other information processing needs. The SSW utilizes virtual lab technology that all students can access anytime, anywhere, making a laptop essential. Please review the School's laptop requirement policy.

  4. Do you offer a part-time MSW program at the University of Michigan?

    Yes. Please feel free to review details on our part-time options.

  5. Does the School of Social Work offer online courses/distance learning?

    No. All courses must be taken at the School of Social Work in Ann Arbor. We do, however, allow for students to complete field placements outside of Ann Arbor, so commuter students would only need to travel to the school a few days each week for courses.

  6. Does the school offer evening or weekend classes?

    The School offers some classes in the evening and some mini courses may be schedules on weekends. Students must be able to complete coursework and fieldwork during the day during the week to complete the MSW program at Michigan.

  7. Does the University of Michigan have a bachelor of social work program?

    The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor does not; however, the University of Michigan Flint offers a BSW program. Undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor may enroll in MSW courses in their junior and senior years with the permission of the instructor.

    The University offers an LSA-approved minor for undergraduate students interested in community action and social change. Please view our website for information on the CASC Undergraduate Minor.

  8. Does the University of Michigan offer a clinical social work program?

    Yes, the majority of our MSW students concentrate in Interpersonal Practice. Students interested in clinical social work are encouraged to select the Interpersonal Practice method. Coursework in Interpersonal Practice is focused on improving the skills social workers Press enter to read full text...

Contact Us Press escape to close