Geriatric social work is one of the fastest growing career fields. The number of older persons in the United States will more than double between the years 2000-2030. As the population ages, employment opportunities in gerontological social work are expanding greatly. Geriatric social work offers extensive possibilities to make a difference in older people's lives and enjoy limitless opportunities for career advancement. Geriatric social workers are particularly needed in marginalized communities and with vulnerable populations.
Geriatric Scholarship Program Funding
- $6,000 per term (3 terms for 12-month / 4 terms for 16-month students)
Geriatric Scholars complete the following specialized coursework:
- Interpersonal Practice Methods in Aging
- Adulthood and Aging
- Policies Affecting Older Adults
- Scholars will be directed to required Electives
Each Scholar will complete a field placement in the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway.
- Enroll as a full-time On-Campus MSW student in the 16-month or 12-month (Advanced Standing, UM-Dearborn Human Services, U-M Sociology & SW or MasterTrack MSW) curriculum.
- Select the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway and complete all pathway requirements.
- Complete a field placement in the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway.
- Participation in all post-scholarship evaluation activities.
- Due to course and field requirements for the Geriatric Scholarship Program, MSW/MPH students are not eligible to participate in this program.
- All On Campus MSW applicants interested in geriatric social work are invited to apply.
- Geriatric Scholars must be enrolled full-time in the on-campus 16-month, 12-month (Advanced Standing, UM-Dearborn Human Services & SW, or UM Sociology & SW) or MasterTrack MSW and select the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway.
- Application deadlines: December 1, 2022 (early application), February 1, 2023 (priority), March 15, 2023. Selection of applicants will be made from all dates with priority given to those applicants that meet the December and February deadlines.
- Deferred admits planning to enroll in fall 2023 must submit their special program application by November 1, 2022.
- Financial need will be considered in the review of special program applications.
- Your MSW application must be complete by the scholarship deadline.
- If you would like to apply to the Geriatric Scholarship Program, please answer "yes" to the question, "Do you plan to apply to an SSW Special Program?" found on the Financial Assistance page of the MSW application and then select the Geriatric Scholarship Program checkbox. The Geriatric Scholarship Program application pages will be added to the end of your MSW application.
- Note that it will be more likely to be accepted into the Geriatric Scholarship Program if you select the Social Work Practice with Older Adults and Families from a Lifespan Perspective pathway on your MSW application.
For more information about the Geriatric Scholarship Program, contact the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management at (734) 936-0961 or email@example.com.