Admission to the on-campus Master of Social Work program as a degree-seeking student is limited to the fall term only. Each fall, approximately 430 new students enter the MSW program on campus. Students seeking admission to the Part-Time Online MSW program may apply for fall, winter, or spring/summer.
||International & Non-Baccalaureate
|Early Application Deadline
||December 1, 2020
||December 1, 2020
||March 1, 2021
||February 1, 2021
||August 1, 2021
||March 1, 2021
NOTE: U-M CASC Minor, U-M Sociology & SW and UM-Dearborn Human Services & SW students submitting a fall 2021 MSW application during their junior year for fall 2022 consideration must apply by March 1.
Applicants are required to review the School of Social Work website and Instructions for MSW Application before completing the MSW application. The application form provides information upon which decisions for admission are based and it is imperative to give complete and accurate data. The School reserves the right to withdraw an application and/or revoke an offer of admission if full and accurate information is not provided to the School in a timely manner.
We utilize a modified rolling admissions process and encourage applicants to submit the application and all supporting documents at the earliest date possible.
Applicants should consider the following tips when applying to the School of Social Work:
- Apply as early as possible.
- Review the application instructions to ensure the submission of a complete and accurate application.
- Review the Criteria for Admission prior to submitting the application.
- Provide an academic recommendation if possible.
- Provide a professional recommendation if possible (e.g., from someone who managed a setting or supervised the applicant in a human service-related paid, volunteer, internship, or research services environment).
- Fully complete the work experience section.
- Address all three topics in your Supplementary Statement.
- Thoroughly proofread the Supplementary Statement.
- Submit the financial aid application for the School of Social Work with the application for admission. (This will not impact the admissions decision, but is required for SSW merit- or need-based financial aid consideration.)
- Complete and submit the FAFSA at the earliest date possible.
- If interested, submit a special program application. (This will not impact the MSW admissions decision.)
- Call (734) 936-0961 or email the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management with any questions.
The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Senior Director for Institutional Equity, and Title IX/Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Office of Institutional Equity, 2072 Administrative Services Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1432, 734-763-0235, TTY 734-647-1388. For other University of Michigan information call 734-764-1817.