Thank you for your interest in the Visiting Research Student Program at the University of Michigan School of Social Work (U-M SSW). Please read the important information below including requirements for Visiting Research Students and the steps of the application process.
Visiting Research Students must:
- Be conducting research related to the graduate degree requirements of another university as their primary purpose; and
- Be invited by a department, program or other University unit; and
- Be in residence for not less than one month and not more than two calendar years.
Students visiting under student exchange agreements are not eligible for appointments as Visiting Research Students.
Additional items to note:
- Visiting Research Students are accepted on a rolling basis. The school is limited to hosting two scholars during any given time.
- Visiting Research Students will be provided with computer access, printing capabilities, library access, and a university ID card.
- U-M SSW is unable to provide office space to Visiting Research Students. However, students are able to use shared common spaces in the School of Social Work or work in the nearby libraries on campus.
- U-M SSW is unable to provide funding for Visiting Research Students. International Visiting Research Students must provide documentation of adequate funding for their appointed term. Adequate funding is defined by the University of Michigan's International Center as $2,250/month.
- International Visiting Research Students are required to purchase health insurance. Please note costs increase dramatically for dependents. Click here to check current rates.
If you meet the above guidelines and are interested in applying as a Visiting Research Student, please identify a faculty member to work with during your stay. Faculty profiles can be found here. Please directly email potential faculty members to see if they will be willing to work with you. You may want to send potential faculty members the following:
- A statement of purpose indicating what you plan to accomplish while at U-M SSW
- Curriculum vitae
- The preferred time period for your stay at U-M SSW
Once a faculty mentor has been identified and has agreed to work with you please contact Ruth Dunkle, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, at email@example.com to request to be a part of the Visiting Research Student Program. Requests should be submitted three months prior to the preferred arrival date to allow adequate time to complete the visa process.
Applicants can expect to hear back about their request in 6 weeks.
Click here to find helpful information regarding the Visiting Research Student Program at the University of Michigan.
If you have more specific questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org