Thank you for your interest in the Visiting Scholar Program at the University of Michigan School of Social Work. Our program is limited to scholars from partner institutions, with which the University of Michigan School of Social Work has an official Memorandum of Understanding or Exchange Agreement. Additionally, individuals who are not from a partner institution can apply if they have the strong support of a SSW faculty member. Please read through the application process and requirements below.
Thank you for your interest in the Visiting Scholar Program at the University of Michigan School of Social Work (U-M SSW). Please read the important information below including requirements for Visiting Scholars and the steps of the application process.
Visiting Scholars must:
- Have earned a PhD (or equivalent) or other comparable terminal graduate or professional-graduate degree (i.e. JD, MD, MFA, etc.), and hold a faculty or other permanent research position at another accredited university, college, or research organization
- Have a Master's or equivalent intermediate degree and substantial professional experience equivalent to that expected of a member of the University of Michigan School of Social Work faculty
- Be pursuing a program of research as their primary purpose
- Be invited by a department, program or other University unit; and
- Be in residence for an appointment term of no less than one month and no more than three calendar years.
- Purchase health insurance. Costs increase dramatically for dependents. Please click here to check rates (scroll to the bottom).
- Possess sufficient English Language proficiency to pursue their program of research and to succeed in everyday interactions while in the U.S.
Additional items to note:
- Visiting Scholars have a shared office space, a computer, printer, library access, and a copying/printing allowance.
- U-M SSW is unable to provide funding for Visiting Scholars, thus the Visiting Scholar must provide documentation of adequate funding for their appointed term. Please see the current requirements for adequate funding as defined by the University of Michigan International Center.
- Visiting Scholars are accepted on a rolling basis with a limit of three scholars for any given time. Please remember preference will be given to scholars who have been invited by U-M SSW faculty as well as scholars from partner institutions.
If you meet the above guidelines and are interested in applying as a Visiting Scholar, please send the following items to the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted at least three months prior to the preferred arrival date.
- A statement of purpose indicating what you plan to accomplish while at U-M SSW
- The name of the faculty member who has agreed to work with you as your faculty sponsor. Faculty profiles can be found here
- Curriculum vitae
- The preferred time period for your stay at U-M SSW
Applicants can expect to hear back about their request in 6 weeks.
If you have more specific questions please email email@example.com.