Contact My SSW Intranet

Main menu

DACAmented Students FAQ

  1. Are undocumented and DACAmented students eligible for International Student/Scholar Health Insurance (IHI)?

    No. Internationals students with an F-1 or J-1 visa issued by U-M Ann Arbor are required to have health insurance coverage while at the university. Since undocumented and DACAmented students do not have an F-1 or J-1 visa, they are not eligible for the U-M International Health Insurance (IHI) plan.

  2. Can I continue to work if my Employment Authorization Document (EAD) expires?

    No. Students are not eligible to work without a valid EAD. Students cannot obtain a new GSI, GSRA or GSSA appointment without a valid EAD.

  3. Can undocumented or DACAmented students qualify for in-state tuition at the University of Michigan?

    Yes. Undocumented or DACAmented students may qualify for in-state tuition rates if you can demonstrate that you attended an accredited Michigan high school and accredited Michigan middle or junior high school within 28 months of enrolling at U-M. In state residency is determined by the Registrar's Office. Please see the University of Michigan Guidelines for Qualifying for In-State Tuition for details.

  4. Does the School of Social Work offer full-tuition awards?

    Yes; however, there are very few full tuition awards available for any MSW student. The majority of School of Social Work merit-based awards cover only partial tuition amounts.

  5. Does the University of Michigan have designated contacts for DACAmented or undocumented students if I have questions?

    School of Social Work

    Office of Financial Aid

    Rackham Graduate School

    Residency Office

    • Janet Cruz, Residency Classification Coordinator

    U-M Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives

  6. How should I enter my information for a background check if I am a DACAmented student?

    All graduate students appointed as graduate student instructor (GSI), graduate student research assistant (GSRA), or graduate student staff assistant (GSSA) positions (collectively referred to as GSA) positions are required to pass a background check. As part of the Press enter to read full text...

  7. If I am offered a GSSA , GSI, or GSRA appointment, am I eligible for GradCare without a social security number (SSN)?

    Yes. Students need to complete the regular enrollment process through Wolverine Access within the first 30 days of the appointment. You can also add eligible dependents who do not have a SSN to your health insurance during the enrollment process.

  8. What financial aid from the School of Social Work is available for MSW applicants/students with DACA?

    MSW applicants/students with DACA are eligible to apply for merit-based financial aid, SSW special programs (Child Welfare Scholarship Program, Community-Based Initiative in Detroit, Geriatric Scholarship Program, Global Activities Scholarship Program, Integrated Press enter to read full text...

Contact Us Press escape to close