This student-initiated application must be submitted directly to Rackham.
The Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant is designed to support Rackham graduate students who need assistance to carry out research that advances their progress toward their degree.
The grant is intended to defray costs of conducting clearly defined research projects including:
- Research related expenses (e.g., subject fees, access to specialized data sets, purchase of archival materials or images, laboratory supplies that will be consumed in the course of the project)
- Temporary research assistants or transcribers (NOTE: Requests for this type of expense must include a compelling explanation of why the student cannot perform the work him or herself.)
- Research-based travel not associated with a course (e.g., off-campus data collection, access to libraries, archives or historical sites)
- Purchasing laboratory equipment, field work equipment or specialized computer software (NOTE: This type of expense has some special limitations.)
- Off-campus study of foreign languages needed for research. Proposals will be considered only if the instruction is not available on the U-M Ann Arbor campus. The relevance of the language studied to the student's research must be explained in the proposal.
- Off-campus study of specialized methodologies or techniques needed for research. Proposals will be considered only if instruction in the methodologies and/or techniques is not available on the U-M Ann Arbor campus. (NOTE: An explicit paragraph explaining the relevance of the methodologies and/or techniques to the student's research must be included in the proposal.)
- M.F.A. and D.M.A. students in Dance, Art and Design and Music are eligible for this funding to support a performance or exhibition as required by their graduate program. The presentation or performance must be central to the student's graduate studies and serve to satisfy the requirements of his or her degree.
Rackham Graduate Student Research Grant