Contact My SSW Intranet Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

MSW Applications & Admission FAQ

  1. If I am applying to the MSW degree program, do I also need to submit an application to the Graduate School?

    No, to apply to the MSW degree program you only need to submit your application to the School of Social Work. You do not need to submit an application to the Rackham School of Graduate Studies unless you are applying to the Joint PhD Program in Social Work and Social Science.

  2. If I'm admitted to the MSW program but cannot begin the program in the fall, can I defer admission?

    Admitted students may request deferment for one or two years. The Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management will review and make decisions on all deferment requests. Deferment requests may be submitted via email to

  3. Is an interview required for acceptance?

    No. However, the admissions committee may request to interview you before making their final decision. You may request an interview to discuss your work history, grades or a career change. An admissions counselor can offer additional information on whether a self-initiated interview would be beneficial.

  4. Is it possible to transfer into the University of Michigan School of Social Work?

    Transfer students from CSWE accredited MSW programs can transfer up to 30 credit hours as long as they were degree seeking students. Other students may be able to transfer 9 - 15 credit hours. Credits which have been applied toward another degree cannot transfer. Press enter to read full text...

  5. Is the GRE required for application to the MSW Program?

    No. GRE scores are neither required nor reviewed.

  6. Is the TOEFL required for International applicants? Do you accept IELTS or MELAB scores?

    Yes, TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, or ECPE scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English. Applicants are exempt from submitting a TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, or ECPE score if they have either 1) earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is exclusively English, regardless of country or 2) studied in the US for two years or more. (Note that test scores are valid for two years from the test date.)

  7. Should I submit academic or professional recommendations?

    Three recommendation forms and/or letters are required. Applicants should attempt to provide at least two recommendations from professional (supervisors or managers for a human service-related paid, volunteer, research or internship position the applicant performed) Press enter to read full text...

  8. Should the Supplementary Statement address each topic separately or incorporate them into one cohesive statement?

    Please provide one statement which covers all four topics.

Contact Us Press escape to close