Contact My SSW Intranet Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

U-M Sociology and Social Work MSW Online

The U-M School of Social Work and Sociology have partnered to create an opportunity for U-M undergraduate sociology students to enter the MSW program. Upon graduation, you can continue your MSW degree online.


  • Promote social justice through direct service and advocacy on the local, national and global levels
  • Earn your BA in four years and your MSW in a 45-credit program saving you time and money
  • Earn your BA in Sociology and your MSW from the #1 schools in the country (U.S. News & World Reports)
  • 96% of U-M MSW graduates looking for jobs are employed
  • We provide field placements near your community in the Conterminous U.S. (48 states and DC; not including Alaska, Hawaii or any U.S. territory)
  • You can balance a career and an MSW degree


Interested students must be current undergraduate students at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor who will declare Sociology as a major and select the Sociology & Social Work subplan.

*Transfer students may be eligible to participate in the Online MSW program.
U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status required. Undocumented and DACAmented students must reside within the U.S.

  • Step 1
    Declare Sociology major and select the Social Work subplan.
  • Step 2
    Complete Sociology & Social Work subplan requirements as a U-M undergraduate.
  • Step 3

    Apply for admission to the Online MSW program during your Junior year.

    Apply for Admission

  • Step 4
    Complete 13 credits in the MSW program your Senior year.
  • Step 5
    Complete your MSW degree in the online program.

When to Apply

  • Select Sociology as your major and the subplan in social work by your junior year.
  • Apply for the Online MSW Program by February 1 of your junior year.
  • Complete 13 credits of MSW coursework with a grade of C- or above in your senior year, if admitted to the MSW program. A Student Success Meeting may be required if your GPA across the following courses is below 3.0: SW505, SW506, SW508, SW509 and your undergraduate research course that will count as the SW507 requirement.

Curriculum Schedule

View curriculum terms and credit hours.

Financial Aid

For information please refer to the MSW Guide to Financial Aid. Students may apply for grants, scholarships, and other forms of financial aid for the semesters they are enrolled in master’s level online courses through the School of Social Work. There is no financial aid available from the School of Social Work until you enroll as a graduate student.

Contact Us Press escape to close