Section 1.09.02: Changing Pathway After Official Declaration
Occasionally, students may wish to switch their chosen pathway after they have officially selected the pathway. It is in a student's best interest to make changes to the pathway prior to the assignment of the first field placement. In general, note that:
1. Not all classes are offered every semester. As such, students are strongly advised to consult with the Technical Advising Team to ensure the classes they need to take will be available for registration before graduation.
2. Changing a pathway after the second term of advanced field education may result in lengthening the duration of the program since students must complete at least eight (8) credit hours of SW 691 "Advanced Field Education" in the chosen pathway.
3. Advanced-standing students who change their pathway after the second term of SW 691 "Advanced Field Education" will, in all probability, need to enroll for an additional term of study.
4. Students who elect the school social work specialization will, in all probability, need to enroll for an additional term of study if they change their pathway after the second term of SW 691 "Advanced Field Education".
After the first term of advanced field education, students may change the pathway under the following circumstances:
1. There is room and availability of the required courses. 2. An appropriate field placement can be secured to accommodate the new pathway. 3. A plan is developed by the student that demonstrates that all requirements can be met. 4. Permission of the assistant dean for field education is obtained. 5. Permission of a technical advisor is obtained. 6. Permission of the field faculty and assistant dean for field education is obtained.
To change a pathway and complete degree requirements within four terms, the deadlines below should be observed.
16-Month Students Submit all necessary forms by the end of the second term of study.
20-Month Students Submit all necessary forms by the end of the second term of study.
Advanced-Standing and MicroMasters/MasterTrack MSW Students Submit all necessary forms by the end of the first term of study.
Out-of-Sequence and Additional Term Option Students May not be able to change pathways without extending the program of study. Consult with academic adviser and field faculty.
Part-Time Students Submit all necessary forms prior to the second term of advanced field placement.