Learning and Teaching During COVID-19

Contact My SSW Intranet Report Sexual Misconduct

Main menu

Financial Support During COVID-19

School of Social Work Emergency Fund

The Student Emergency Fund helps students with food, transportation, housing and other needs. Contact the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management at (734) 936-0961 or ssw.msw.info@umich.edu.

Student Emergency Funds

The U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA) provides up to $500 as a short-term (90 day), interest-free loan. The student must be enrolled and cannot have an outstanding short-term emergency loan. Short-term loan application instructions.

U-M Student Life funding is available to assist current students. Student Life frequently partners with academic unit funds to collaboratively address student needs. Contact the Dean of Students Office.

CEW+ Emergency Funds are for unexpected financial emergencies that threaten to derail degree progress including funding issues that are a result of COVID-19. Contact CEW+ to schedule a phone appointment.

Child Care Needs During COVID-19

The university has added two new options to support faculty, staff and students with child and other dependent care needs. Visit the U-M Human Resources main page for more information.

Caregiver Network Service

Through an agreement with Care.com, university faculty, staff and students can access a network of caregivers in their area. The service includes caregivers for children (including tutors), adults, seniors, pets and more. The monthly membership fee is covered but employees and students will be responsible for the cost of the care they utilize. The service can be accessed at umich.care.com.

Family-to-Family Posting Board

University Human Resources has created a new family-to-family online posting board for various care needs. Employees and students can create and respond to posts about sharing resources and providing unpaid support such as occasional child care, tutoring and learning support, and elder care. Once the employees or students connect, they can follow up independently to discuss arrangements.

U-M offers a Child Care Subsidy to assist with the cost of licensed child care of young, dependent children. U-M has temporarily changed eligibility criteria for the Child Care Subsidy beginning fall term 2020. During this temporary period, child care expenses from any licensed child care provider will be eligible for reimbursement under the subsidy.

As of January 1, 2021, the university continues to provide a temporary bank of time off for various scenarios related to COVID-19 (such as child care due to daycare closure or school operating virtually, lack of work, personal illness, quarantine or care of an ill or quarantined family member). The temporary paid time off programs, Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSLA) and Expanded Family and Medical Leave Act (E-FMLA), established by the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act, expired 12/31/2020.  The university is closely monitoring the legislative environment for extensions or modifications to these programs. Vacation time, temporary reductions in effort, unpaid time off or personal leaves and modified work schedules are additional options available with supervisor approval. Please review the updated information on time off options on the COVID-19 page of the University HR website .

Contact Us Press escape to close