Family Assessment Clinic
The University of Michigan Family Assessment Clinic (FAC) is a multidisciplinary team, consisting of faculty, doctoral and master's students, and staff in the University of Michigan Schools of Social Work, Law, Medicine, and Education, the Department of Psychology, and the Departments of Pediatrics and Psychiatry at the University of Michigan Health System. The clinic provides services to the community by evaluating and treating situations involving possible or actual child maltreatment. In addition, the clinic serves as a context for developing knowledge and skills about child maltreatment, child welfare, and related issues through clinical practice and research.
FAC was developed in 1985 in response to a request for proposals from the Michigan Department of Social Services for multidisciplinary teams that would provide assessments and consultation on cases of families and children involved in the public child welfare system in the state of Michigan. FAC now accepts referrals from a variety of agencies and institutions, including public child welfare agencies in Michigan and other states. Cases are referred by the Michigan Department of Human Services, courts, other social agencies, and families and individuals.
- Multidisciplinary assessments of children and families on complex child welfare cases (see the Assessments page)
- The assessment process includes a review of family background materials and psychosocial evaluations of children and adults.
- The assessment process can include medical exams, psychological testing, collateral contacts, and a consultation meeting.
- Psychiatric, educational, legal, medical, substance abuse, and psychological consultations on cases are available.
- Treatment--Current FAC treatment services
- Can be paid for under DHS Counseling Contract (COUN 04-99195; CAFAS Certification 9/2003)
- Family-focused treatment of families with child maltreatment issues
- In the office
- Group treatment–current groups
- Mothers of children who have been sexually abused
- Teen girls who have been sexually abused
- Individual treatment for children with abuse issues
- Case record reviews of child welfare cases in litigation (see the Case Record Reviews page)
- Issues of child welfare best practice can be addressed.
- The dynamics, indicators, and impact of child maltreatment are areas of FAC expertise.
- Referrals are taken from agencies, institutions, and attorneys.
Payment for services
Costs for services and payment method are negotiated with the referrer on a case-by-case basis. Contracts for services are signed.
- Child Protection Team: www.med.umich.edu/mott/cpt
- Child Advocacy Law Clinic: www.law.umich.edu/
- Multidisciplinary Institute on Child Sexual Abuse: Assessment and Intervention: http://ssw.umich.edu/programs/ce/MICSA/